Kathleen King, Ed.D.
Professor and Program Coordinator
Higher Education and Policy Studies
Kathleen P. King, EdD, is Professor of Higher Education, University of Central Florida, Orlando, FL. Kathy’s major areas of research and expertise include transformative learning, instructional technology innovations, leadership, international education, faculty development, and diversity. She has been a professor of adult and higher education for over 20 years at such institutions as Fordham University, New York, NY, and University of South Florida in Tampa, FL. In 2017, Dr. King was awarded membership in the Textbook and Academic Authors’ prestigious Council of Fellows because of her achievement in academic publishing and service to the association. She was inducted into The International Continuing and Adult Education Hall of Fame in 2011 in recognition of her outstanding contributions to adult and higher education. As an award winning author who has published over 30 books, she is also a popular keynote and conference speaker, mentor, and professor. Dr King is widely recognized for her research, service, and contribution to education by other professional groups as AERA, POD, NYACCE and UCEA. Recent books include Technology and Innovation in Adult Learning (2017, Jossey-Bass publishers); 147 Tips for Emerging Scholars (with Cranston-Gingras, 2014); 21st Century Adult Learning in Our Complex World (2012 with Boden McGill), The Professor’s Guide to Taming Technology (2011), Global Models of Human Performance (2009, with Wang); Handbook of Evolving Research in Transformative Learning (10th anniv. ed.) (2009); and Podcasting for Teaching (2nd ed) (2009, with Gura). Through distance technologies Dr. King and her collaborators have reached over 7 million learners. Dr. King earned her Ed.D. and M.Ed. from Widener University, Chester, Pennsylvania. She also has a M.A. from Columbia International, Columbia, SC and a B.A. from Brown University, Providence, RI.
Ed.D. in Higher Education
Areas of Expertise
- Transformative Learning
- Instructional Technology Innovations
- Transformative Learning
- International Education
- Faculty Development
Recent Honors and Awards
- TAA Council of Fellows (2017), Textbook and Academic Authors
- International Adult and Continuing Education Hall of Fame (2011-present)
- Board of Directors, International Adult and Continuing Education Hall of Fame (2016-present)
- American Educational Research Association's (AERA) Outstanding Research Publication Award. Presented to K.P. King and J. Griggs for their book Harnessing Innovative Technologies for Higher Education. AERA Division I: Professional Development in the Professions (2009)
- POD Innovation Award (2005), Recognition of technology innovation by Professional and Organizational Development Network in Higher Education
- Creative Use of Technology Award (2002), Association of Continuing Higher Education
King, K. P. (2017). Technology and innovation in adult learning. San Francisco, CA: Jossey Bass. ISBN 9781119049616 [Peer reviewed book].
Pabian, P., King, K. P., & Tibbett, S. (In Press). Fiscal analysis of cost-benefit of physical therapy student debt and future income. Journal of Physical Therapy Education.
King, K. P. (2016). Doctoral mentoring in online environments. In K. Peno, et al. (Eds.). Doctoral mentoring. (pp. 77-96). Charlotte, NC: Information Age.
King, K. P., Leos, J., & Norstrand, L. B. (2016). The role of online health education communities in wellness and recovery. In V. Wang (Ed.). Handbook of research on advancing health education through technology. (pp. 139-170). New York, NY: IGI Information Science Reference.
King, K. P., Norstrand, L.B., & Leos, J. (2015). Navigating the academic developmental maze: New possibilities for mentoring international graduate and doctoral students through the USA. International Journal of Adult and Vocational Education and Technology 6(1), 1-17.
Current Funded Projects
Turner, C. & King, K. P. (2017). Minority Summer Research Fellowship. UCF College of Graduate Studies (Awarded $3,500, plus tuition for 6 credits of research study 4/2017).
King, K. P. (2016). Publication Research Grant. Textbook and Academic Authors (professional association). (Awarded $ 1,000 12/2016).
King, K. P. (2016). Journaling for Diversity Learning. Writing Across the Curriculum, UCF WAC. ($ 450 UCF 11/2016).
Faculty Related Links
- American Educational Research Association (AERA), 1995-present; Proposal Reviewer, 1997-present
- American Association for Adult and Continuing Education (AAACE), 1994-present
- Adult Higher Education Alliance (AHEA), 2010-present
- Association for the Study of Higher Education (ASHE), Proposal Reviewer, 2012-present
- National Association of Student Personnel Administrators (NASPA), Proposal Reviewer, 2011-present
- Professional & Organizational Development Network in Higher Education (POD), Proposal Reviewer, 2002-2012
- Textbook and Academic Authors Association (TAA), 2009-present
Council of Fellows, 2017
Awards Committee, 2016-present
Keynote Speaker for TAA, 2016-present