Sarah B. Bush, Ph.D.
K-12 STEM Education
Dr. Sarah B. Bush is an Associate Professor of K-12 STEM Education and the program coordinator of the mathematics education PhD track at the University of Central Florida in Orlando, FL. She received her doctorate in Curriculum and Instruction with a specialization in Mathematics Education from the University of Louisville. Since 2010, Dr. Bush’s productivity includes 1.8+ million dollars in externally funded projects, 9 peer-reviewed published books, 70+ peer-reviewed publications published or in-press, and 100+ peer-reviewed and invited international, national, regional, and state presentations. Dr. Bush is actively involved in the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics, serving as an elected member of the Board of Directors (2019-2022) and has served as chair or member of nine committees and task forces, including as the 2017 NCTM Annual Meeting and Exposition Program Chair. Most Recently, Dr. Bush served as the lead writer of NCTM’s Catalyzing Change in Middle School Mathematics: Initiating Critical Conversations, published in 2020. Dr. Bush’s scholarship and research focuses on deepening student and teacher understanding of mathematics through transdisciplinary STE(A)M problem-based inquiry and mathematics, science, and STE(A)M education professional development effectiveness. Dr. Bush seamlessly integrates her practical experience as a middle school mathematics teacher in public schools with her innovative STE(A)M scholarship to serve as an instructional leader in the field of mathematics education and STE(A)M education.
Ph.D. in Curriculum and Instruction, Mathematics Education
University of Louisville
Areas of Expertise
- Mathematics Education
- Transdisciplinary STE(A)M Education
- Teacher Professional Development
- Deepening student and teacher understanding of mathematics through transdisciplinary STE(A)M problem-based inquiry
- Mathematics, science, and STE(A)M teacher professional development effectiveness
Recent Honors and Awards
- UCF Women’s History Month Honoree (2020)
- Article (13 Rules that Expire!) featured in The Best of Teaching Children Mathematics, Mathematics Teaching in the Middle School, and Mathematics Teacher on Questions, Discourse, and Evidence. Issue 1. Reprint from original article which appeared in Teaching Children Mathematics in 2014. (2019)
- Association of Mathematics Teacher Educators (AMTE) Early Career Award (2018)
- Bellarmine University President’s Pursuit of Excellence Campus-Wide Annual “Bellie” Award (2016)
- NCTM Editorial Pick of the Year for Manuscript titled: 13 Rules that Expire! Published in Teaching Children Mathematics (2015)
Bush, S. B., Cook, K. L., Edelen, D., & Cox, R. (in-press). Elementary students’ STEAM perceptions: Extending frames of reference through transformative learning experiences. Elementary School Journal.
Bush, S. B., Mohr-Schroeder, M., Cook, K. L., Rakes, C. R., Ronau, R. N., & Saderholm, J. (2020). Structuring integrated STEM education professional development. Electronic Journal for Research in Science & Mathematics Education, 24(1), 26-55.
Cook, K. L., Bush, S. B., Cox, R., & Edelen, D. (2020). Development of elementary teachers’ STEAM planning practices. School Science and Mathematics, 120(4), 197-208. DOI
Edelen, D., Bush, S. B., Simpson, H., Cook, K. L., & Abassian, A. (2020). Moving towards shared realities through empathy in mathematical modeling: An ecological systems theory approach. School Science and Mathematics, 120(3), 144-152. DOI
Bush, S. B., & Cook, K. L. (2019). Step into STEAM: Your standards-based action plan for deepening mathematics and science learning. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin.
Current Funded Projects
Tablecraft: A next generation, introductory STEM learning platform. (2019). National Science Foundation (NSF): SIBR Phase 1. Bailey, G (PI), Vasquez, E. (Co-PI), Bush, S. B. (Co-PI), and Taub, M. (Co-PI). $224,997. (UCF portion = $44,645)
STEM satellites: A mobile mathematics and science initiative for Orlando metropolitan area children’s hospitals. (2016-2021). Federal National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) grant. Newman, J. (PI), Lanman, B. (Co-PI), Nickels, M. (Co-PI and UCF PI), Cullen, C. (Co-Pi) & Bush, S. B. (Co-Pi 2017-2021). $1,208,395. (UCF Portion = $458,579)
- Association of Mathematics Teacher Educators
- Florida Council of Teachers of Mathematics
- National Council of Supervisors of Mathematics
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics
- National Science Teachers Association