Sarah B. Bush, Ph.D.
K-12 STEM Education
Dr. Sarah Bush is an Associate Professor of K-12 STEM Education at the University of Central Florida in Orlando, FL. She received her doctorate in Curriculum and Instruction with a specialization in Mathematics Education from the University of Louisville. Since 2010, Dr. Bush’s productivity includes 1.6+ million dollars in externally funded projects, 4 peer-reviewed published books, 50+ peer-reviewed publications published or in-press, 55+ peer-reviewed and invited national or regional presentations, and 9 National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) leadership and committee appointments, most notably serving as the 2017 NCTM Annual Meeting and Exposition Program Chair. Dr. Bush’s most current lines of research include deepening student and teacher understanding of mathematics through transdisciplinary STE(A)M problem-based inquiry and mathematics, science, and STE(A)M education professional development effectiveness. Dr. Bush seamlessly integrates her practical experience as a middle school mathematics teacher in public schools with her innovative STE(A)M scholarship to serve as an instructional leader in the field of mathematics education and STE(A)M education.
Ph.D. in Curriculum and Instruction, Mathematics Education
University of Louisville
Areas of Expertise
- Mathematics Education
- Transdisciplinary STE(A)M Education
- Teacher Professional Development
- Deepening student and teacher understanding of mathematics through transdisciplinary STE(A)M problem-based inquiry
- Mathematics, science, and STE(A)M teacher professional development effectiveness
Recent Honors and Awards
- Association of Mathematics Teacher Educators (AMTE) Early Career Award (2018)
- UCF Faculty Coache Innovation Award (2017)
- Bellarmine University President’s Pursuit of Excellence Campus-Wide Annual “Bellie” Award (2016)
- NCTM Editorial Pick of the Year for Manuscript titled: 13 Rules that Expire! Published in Teaching Children Mathematics (2015)
- Helen Cunningham Educator Award for Excellence in Teaching Mathematics (NCTM Affiliate Award) (2013)
Cook, K. L. & Bush, S. B. (2018). Design thinking in integrated STEAM learning: Surveying the landscape and exploring exemplars in elementary grades. School Science and Mathematics. 118(3-4), 93-103. doi: 10.1111/ssm.12268.
Mohr-Schroeder, M., Bush, S. B., & Jackson, C. (2018). K12 STEM education: Why does it matter and where are we now? Teachers College Record. ID Number: 22288.
Bush, S. B., Karp, K. S., *Cox, R., Cook, K. L., *Albanese, J., & Karp, M. (2018). Design thinking framework: Shaping powerful mathematics. Mathematics Teaching in the Middle School. 23(4), e1 – e5.
Saderholm, J., Ronau, R. N., Rakes, C. R., Bush, S. B., & Mohr-Schroeder, M. (2017). The critical role of a well-articulated conceptual framework to guide professional development: An evaluation of a state-wide two-week program for mathematics and science teachers. Professional Development in Education. 43(5), 789-818. doi: 10.1080/19415257.2016.1251485
Dougherty, B. J., Bush, S. B., & Karp, K. S. (2017). Circumventing high school rules that expire! Mathematics Teacher. 111(2), 134-138.
Current Funded Projects
STEM Satellites: A Mobile Mathematics and Science Initiative for Orlando Metropolitan Area Children’s Hospitals: NASA CP4SMPVC+. (2016-2021). NASA. Nickels, M. (PI), Cullen, C. (Co-Pi) & Bush, S. B. (Co-PI 2017-2021). $1,250,000.
Full STEAM Ahead: Preparing Elementary Teachers to Implement Best-Practices in Integrated STEAM Instruction. (2015-2017). Mathematics Science Partnership (MSP). Bush, S. B. (PI) & Cook, K. (PI). $395,952
- Association of Mathematics Teacher Educators
- Florida Council of Teachers of Mathematics
- National Council of Supervisors of Mathematics
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics
- National Science Teachers Association