Elsie Olan, Ph.D.
English Language Arts Education
Ph.D. in Curriculum and Instruction – Language, Culture and Society
Area of specialization: Language and Literacy
The Pennsylvania State University
Areas of Expertise
- Secondary Teacher Education
- English Language Arts
- Literature, Language and Literacy
- The role of language and writing, literacy, literature and diversity in learning and teaching in language arts and cross-disciplinary education
- Teaching and teacher education: Teachers' narratives, inquiries and reflective practices in (local and international) teaching environments and professional development settings
Recent Honors and Awards
- Best Article Award (2017); English Leadership Quarterly
- William R. Jones Outstanding Mentor Award (2015); Florida Education Fund
Lopez, A. E. & Olan, E. L. (Eds.). (2018). Transformative pedagogies for teacher education: moving towards critical praxis in an era of change. Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing.
Olan, E. L. & Mishra, R. (2018). Narrative Pedagogy as a Mindful Contemplative Practice: Discovering Preservice Teachers’ Mindful Presence. In Byrnes, Dalton &Dorman (Eds). Impacting Teaching and Learning: Contemplative Practices, Pedagogy, and Research in Education (pp.67-77). Maryland, NY: Rowman and Littlefield Publishers.
Olan, E. L. & Richmond, K. J. (2017) Disrupting the dominant narrative while finding harmony: beginning English teachers’ use of young adult literature and culturally responsive pedagogy. Journal of Language and Literacy (JOLLE).
Vu, M.A*. & Olan, E. L. (2017). Rosenblatt’s reading in the middle: Using aesthetic strategies coupled with state standards to fluctuate between efferent and aesthetic stances. Connections.
Olan, E. L. & Richmond, K. J. (2017). Storying our journey: conversations about and reflections on curriculum development, the literary canon, and courses in secondary english education. The Wisconsin English Journal.
Olan, E.L. & *Belló, P. (2016). The relationship between language, culture and society: Teachers of English as a foreign language (EFL) positioning in society. GIST Education and Learning Research Journal.
Olan, E.L. & *Belló, P. (2016). Understanding teachers' career choices: Narratives from international in-service teachers of English as a Foreign Language (EFL). Argentinian Journal of Applied Linguistics,4(1), 23-42.
Olan, E.L. & Richmond, K. J. (2016). Conversations, Connections, and Culturally Responsive Teaching: Young Adult Literature in the English Methods Class. English Leadership Quarterly.
- International Chapter NAME International Chapter, 2015-Present
- Commission on Writing Teacher Education (CEE), 2015-Present
- Florida Reading Association (FRA), 2014-Present
- International Literacy Association (ILA), 2014-Present
- Central Florida Literacy Council (CFLC), 2014-Present
- Assembly on Literature for Adolescents of the NCTE (ALAN), 2013-Present
- Member of Conference of English Education (CEE), 2010-Present
- Member of American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education (AACTE), 2008-Present
- Member of Conference of English Leadership (CEL), 2008-Present
- Member of American Educational Research Association (AERA), 2008-Present
- Member of National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE), 2004-Present