Sarah B. Bush, Ph.D.
K-12 STEM Education
Dr. Sarah B. Bush is an Associate Professor of K-12 STEM Education and the program coordinator of the mathematics education PhD track at the University of Central Florida in Orlando, FL. She received her doctorate in Curriculum and Instruction with a specialization in Mathematics Education from the University of Louisville. Since 2010, Dr. Bush’s productivity includes 1.8+ million dollars in externally funded projects, 5 peer-reviewed published books, 65+ peer-reviewed publications published or in-press, and 85+ peer-reviewed and invited international, national, regional, and state presentations. Dr. Bush is actively involved in the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics, serving as an elected member of the Board of Directors (2019-2022) and has served as chair or member of nine committees and task forces, including as the 2017 NCTM Annual Meeting and Exposition Program Chair. Dr. Bush’s scholarship and research focuses on deepening student and teacher understanding of mathematics through transdisciplinary STE(A)M problem-based inquiry and mathematics, science, and STE(A)M education professional development effectiveness. Dr. Bush seamlessly integrates her practical experience as a middle school mathematics teacher in public schools with her innovative STE(A)M scholarship to serve as an instructional leader in the field of mathematics education and STE(A)M education.
Ph.D. in Curriculum and Instruction, Mathematics Education
University of Louisville
Areas of Expertise
- Mathematics Education
- Transdisciplinary STE(A)M Education
- Teacher Professional Development
- Deepening student and teacher understanding of mathematics through transdisciplinary STE(A)M problem-based inquiry
- Mathematics, science, and STE(A)M teacher professional development effectiveness
Recent Honors and Awards
- Article (13 Rules that Expire!) featured in The Best of Teaching Children Mathematics, Mathematics Teaching in the Middle School, and Mathematics Teacher on Questions, Discourse, and Evidence. Issue 1. Reprint from original article which appeared in Teaching Children Mathematics in 2014. (2019)
- Association of Mathematics Teacher Educators (AMTE) Early Career Award (2018)
- UCF Faculty Coache Innovation Award (2017)
- Bellarmine University President’s Pursuit of Excellence Campus-Wide Annual “Bellie” Award (2016)
- NCTM Editorial Pick of the Year for Manuscript titled: 13 Rules that Expire! Published in Teaching Children Mathematics (2015)
Bush, S. B., & Cook, K. L. (2019). Step into STEAM: Your standards-based action plan for deepening mathematics and science learning. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin (co-published with the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics).
Bush, S. B. & Cook, K. L. (2019). Structuring STEAM inquiries: Lessons learned from practice. In M. S. Khine & S. Areepattamannil (Eds.), STEAM Education: Theory and Practice. (pp. 19-35). Cham, Switzerland: Springer Nature Switzerland.
Bush, S. B. (2019). NCTM’s catalyzing change in high school mathematics: Our role in the middle. Mathematics Teaching in the Middle School, 24(5), 290-294.
Bush, S. B. & Cook, K. L. (2018). K-12 STEM and STEAM education in the United States: Vision and best practices. Teachers College Record. Record Number: 22533.
Cook, K. L. & Bush, S. B. (2018). Design thinking in integrated STEAM learning: Surveying the landscape and exploring exemplars in elementary grades. School Science and Mathematics. 118(3-4), 93-103. doi: 10.1111/ssm.12268.
Current Funded Projects
Tablecraft: A next generation, introductory STEM learning platform. (2019). National Science Foundation (NSF): SIBR Phase 1. Bailey, G (PI), Vasquez, E. (Co-PI), Bush, S. B. (Co-PI), and Taub, M. (Co-PI). $224,997. (UCF portion = $46,691)
STEM satellites: A mobile mathematics and science initiative for Orlando metropolitan area children’s hospitals. (2016-2021). Newman, J. (PI), Lanman, B. (Co-PI), Nickels, M. (Co-PI and UCF PI), Cullen, C. (Co-Pi) & Bush, S. B. (Co-Pi 2017-2021). $1,250,000. (UCF Portion = $458,579)
- Association of Mathematics Teacher Educators
- Florida Council of Teachers of Mathematics
- National Council of Supervisors of Mathematics
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics
- National Science Teachers Association