I have focused research efforts on patient engagement in technology and workforce usage of technology for patient care. Increased adoption of electronic health records has impacted both patients and providers, and my research has uncovered barriers to usage by patients, physicians, physical therapists and other clinicians which provides insight into how we can make the best use of technology to improve patient outcomes. As a result of national and international publications and presentations of this research, I have been recognized by the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) with the Triumph Award for Research for my contribution to original and applied health information management research. I have written five book chapters and co-authored a medical coding textbook. I was recognized by the Florida Health Information Management Association (FHIMA) with the Literary Award for my contribution to the body of knowledge in health information science and management. By way of these awards, two of the important organizations in the health information management field have validated my contributions to the profession. Both organizations have also recognized me for teaching, with the AHIMA Triumph Award for Education and the FHIMA Educator Award.
Areas of Expertise
- Health information management
- Project management
- Health literacy
- PhD, Public Affairs, University of Central Florida
- MBA, Management, Georgia State University
- BS, Medical Record Administration, University of Central Florida
- Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) from AHIMA
- Certified Coding Specialist (CCS) from AHIMA
- Project Management Professional (PMP) from Project Management Institute (PMI)
Research interests are primarily in patient and workforce use of technology, including electronic/personal health records, mobile applications, telemedicine, and health literacy. "The Impact of Health Literacy on a Patient's Decision to Adopt a Personal Health Record" has been cited over 110 times and at the time of publication received widespread recognition in online national newsletters and other news feeds. I was interviewed by the American Medical Association as well as an English website for their blog entitled "Patients Know Best." The International Medical Informatics Association recognized the article as one of the best in medical informatics in 2013. Subsequently, I completed projects with UCF Health and Orlando Health which were focused on clinician perspectives of electronic health records. Both of these collaborative efforts were published in highly regarded healthcare informatics and information management journals and have been cited 55+ times each. More recent research looked at data breaches, comparing US hospitals by location and characteristics. This publication also received interest from a variety of sources including online health and policy websites. Patient privacy can impact willingness to use electronic health records and including this new viewpoint is timely with the current national and international social media issues.
- Health literacy
- Patient and workforce use of technology, including electronic/personal health records and patient portals
- Mobile applications
- Health information exchange
The majority of my service has been to the HIIM profession. I served in the AHIMA House of Delegates (HOD) from 2012-2015 and as part of this responsibility, volunteered for several subgroups. I served on the HOD Leadership Team, as the Envisioning Collaborative Co-Chair. More recently, I was invited by AHIMA to serve on the Consumer Engagement Thought Leadership Roundtable, 2019, and on the Consumer Engagement Policy Statement Workgroup, 2021.
I served as president of the Florida Health Information Management Association (FHIMA) from 2013-2014. This followed a two year term on the FHIMA Board of Directors. I continue to serve on a variety of committees as requested. I have also served on numerous advisory boards for associate degree programs throughout Central Florida.
On campus, I serve on committees as needed for the roles I serve as both the CCIE Interim Associate Dean for Academic Affairs and as the Health Informatics and Information Management Program Director.
For about ten years, I served on the Division Review Committees for Institutional Effectiveness. In this capacity, I reviewed and gave feedback to several different units on the content of their IE results and report. I believe these contributions have resulted in improvements in both reporting of data as well as understanding of the process and value of IE.
- 2019-Present, HIM Discipline Coordinator for Statewide Course Numbering System
- 2015, 2017-2020, Florida-Canada Linkage Institute, Out-of-State Tuition Fee Exemption Awards Committee for UCF
- 2019, Chair, CCIE TIP Selection Committee
- 2015-2019, UCF Academic Calendar Committee
- 2018, Chair, Digital Healthcare Conference, Florida International Medical Expo (FIME)
- 2017-2018, Faculty Fellow, UCF Quality Enhancement Plan, Faculty Center for Teaching & Learning
- 2015-2017, American Health Information Management Association Foundation Board of Directors
- 2013-2014, President, Florida Health Information Management Association
- 2011-Present, Program reviewer, Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM)
- Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching Award, CCIE, 2019, COHPA, 2011
- UCF Scroll & Quill Society, 2018
- FHIMA Distinguished Member Award, 2018
- AHIMA Triumph Award, Educator, 2017
- FHIMA Educator Award, 2016
- UCF Research Incentive Award, 2016
- UCF Teaching Incentive Program Award, 2015, 2010
- Excellence in Professional Service Award, COHPA, 2015
- AHIMA Triumph Award for Research, 2014
- International Medical Informatics Association (IMIA), 2013 Yearbook of Medical Informatics, Consumer Informatics subfield, “The Impact of Health Literacy on a Patient’s Decision to Adopt a Personal Health Record”
- National Academic Advising Association (NACADA) Outstanding Faculty Advising Award, Certificate of Merit Recipient, 2013
- Excellence in Undergraduate Advising Award, UCF & COHPA, 2012
- FHIMA Literary Award, 2012
- HIM 3116 Health Record Organization & Management
- HSC 3537 Medical Terminology
- HSA 4903 Honors Directed Reading
- HIM 6123 Project Management in Healthcare Informatics