Dr. Barbara “Basia” Andraka-Christou Barbara Andraka-Christou is an assistant professor in the School of Global Health Management and Informatics with a joint secondary appointment in the College of Medicine at UCF. Her research focuses on health services and health policies for expanding evidence-based treatment of substance use disorder. She also leads the UCF Court Health Services & Policies Workgroup and a Pre-Academia Mentoring Pod for female and minoritized PhD Students in Public Affairs.
Dr. Andraka-Christou’s work has been published in elite substance use and health policy journals, including Health Affairs, the International Journal of Drug Policy, the Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, the Journal of Addiction Medicine, JAMA Network Open, and Substance Abuse. She has appeared on National Public Radio’s All Things Considered and Morning Edition. She is the author of the book The Opioid Fix: America’s Addiction Crisis and the Solution They Don’t Want You to Have (Johns Hopkins University Press, 2020). She is a licensed attorney in Florida.
Areas of Expertise
- Mathematics Education
- Transdisciplinary STE(A)M Education
- Teacher Professional Development
- Postdoctoral fellowship in Public Health, Indiana University – Indianapolis, 2017
- PhD in Law & Social Science, Indiana University – Bloomington, 2016
- JD, Indiana University – Bloomington, 2013
- BA in Economics, summa cum laude, University of Florida, 2008
Tuesday: 11 am – 2 pm
Thursday: 11 am – 1 pm
- Health policy research, including using legal epidemiological methods
- Health services research, including mixed method program evaluation
- Evidence-based substance use disorder treatment
Current Funded Projects
Bureau of Justice Administration 2019-AR-BX-K086, $1,492,871 (Kiel; Florida Office of the State Courts Administrator)
Enhancement & Evaluation for Florida’s Family Dependency Drug Courts
Role: Program Evaluator; Local PI (12.5% FTE each year for 3 years; $146,786 over 3 years; Project split at UCF = 50%)
NIH National Institute on Drug Abuse, 5R01DA045800-03 , $698,341 (Stein; Rand Corporation)
Quality of Medication Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder in Medicaid-Enrollees: The Effects of State Policies and Initiative.
Role: Coinvestigator; Local PI ($72,210 to date; 12% FTE; Project credit split at UCF 100% = $72,210)
- Won Gold in the health category from Forward Indies for her solo-authored book, The Opioid Fix: America’s Addiction Crisis & the Solution they Don’t Want You to Have, forewordreviews.com
- Won a Bronze Independent Publisher Book Award (IPPY) from Independent Publisher Magazine in the health, medicine, & nutrition category from for her solo-authored book, The Opioid Fix: America’s Addiction Crisis & the Solution they Don’t Want You to Have, independentpublisher.com
- Recent work was the subject of a published commentary in the flagship journal of Society of Addiction Medicine (Journal of Addiction Medicine): “The paper by Andraka-Christou and colleagues takes a giant step toward understanding differences, themes, and gaps in state policies.” (pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov)
- Co-authored work cited by the Biden-Harris Administration’s Statement of Drug Policy Priorities for Year One. Executive Office of the President, Office of National Drug Control Policy: Washington, D.C.; 2021. Available at whitehouse.gov.
- Selected for the NIH HEAL – JCOIN LEAP Investigator Program for 2021-2023
- Early Career Investigator scholarship awarded to the 14th Academic and Health Policy Conference on Correctional Health. April 2021 (competitive scholarship) accjh.org
- Elected Committee Member of the Behavioral Health Services Research Interest Group of Academy Health (national)
- Elected Board Member of Rebel Recovery LLC, a harm reduction/syringe exchange program in South Florida
- Subject Matter Expert for Project ECHO MAT Expansion at Arizona State University