Dr. Ross Wolf is Associate Provost at the University of Central Florida, serving as the academic and operational lead for the UCF Downtown campus. In addition to this role, he also serves as a Professor in UCF’s Department of Criminal Justice, and as a Visiting Fellow with the Institute for Public Safety, Crime, and Justice at the University of Northampton (United Kingdom), and Senior Research Associate at the Universiti Tunku Abdul Rahman (Malaysia).
Dr. Wolf has over thirty years of experience in higher education, having previously served as a university director of alumni relations, university coordinator of new student orientation, undergraduate program coordinator, graduate program coordinator, doctoral program director, and associate dean. He has published over fifty peer-reviewed articles, professional articles, books, and book chapters on campus law enforcement, police administration and management, volunteer policing, police use of force, tourism policing, and international policing.
Dr. Wolf has led academic excellence and innovation for UCF Downtown since April 2019. The campus opened and welcomed more than 7,700 students in collaboration with Valencia College in August 2019. Dr. Wolf was instrumental in the design, planning and the implementation of the shared campus and his responsibilities include academic coordination between multiple colleges and institutions, oversight of space and classroom utilization, campus operational budgeting, philanthropy, research innovation, community outreach, and other initiatives that support UCF Downtown students, faculty, and staff.
Areas of Expertise
- Community Engagement
- Comparative Policing
- Police Administration
Ed.D., Higher Education, University of Central Florida
M.P.A., Public Administration, University of Central Florida
CHPP, Certified Homeland Protection Professional
CVPL, Certified Volunteer Policing Leader
Dr. Wolf has published over fifty peer-reviewed articles, professional articles, books, and book chapters on campus law enforcement, police administration and management, volunteer policing, police use of force, tourism policing, and international policing. In addition to his experience in academe, Dr. Wolf also has over thirty years of full-time and reserve experience as a law enforcement officer. He has worked not only with policing agencies in the United States, but with the police in Aruba, Dubai, Hong Kong, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, St. Lucia, and the United Kingdom.
Because of his expertise in police administration and international comparative policing, he has been appointed to and serves as a member of the International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP) Police Administration Committee, and as an Executive Board Member of the International Managers of Police Academy and College Training (IMPACT) Section. He also serves on the National Sheriffs' Association (NSA) Reserve Law Enforcement Officer Working Group and Outreach Committee. He is also president and a member of the board of directors of the Volunteer Law Enforcement Officer Alliance (VLEOA). In addition to other awards and recognitions, he has received the United States Presidential “Lifetime Call to Service Award,” the "Daily Point of Light" Award, the American Police Hall of Fame "J. Edgar Hoover Memorial Gold Medal for Distinguished Public Service” and the National Sheriffs' Association "Medal of Merit."
- Campus law enforcement
- Police administration and management
- Volunteer policing
- Tourism policing
- International comparative policing
Research Centers/Institute/Lab Affiliations
- United States Presidential “Daily Point of Light” Award (September 12, 2014)
- United States President’s Council on Service and Civic Participation “Lifetime Call to Service Award” (2011) and the “President's Volunteer Service Award” (2012-17, 2004 – 2010)
- UCF College of Health and Public Affairs “Faculty Excellence Alumni” award (2016)
- UCF College of Health and Public Affairs “Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching” award (2012, 2003)
- University of Central Florida “Teaching Incentive Program” Award (2013-14, 08-09, 03-04)
- UCF College of Health and Public Affairs “Excellence in Professional Service” award (2010, 2008, 2004)
- University of Central Florida “Excellence in Professional Service” award (2010)
- UCF College of Health and Public Affairs “Research Initiative Award” (2007)
- University of Central Florida “Teaching Faculty Leadership Award” (2006)
- University of Central Florida “Excellence in Faculty Advising” award (2004)
- UCF College of Health and Public Affairs “Excellence in Faculty Advising” award (2004, 2002)