BY NATALIE FEDOR | JUNE 3, 2024

Doug Muldoon receiving his award

After retiring from more than 38 years in law enforcement, former police chief Doug Muldoon ‘91 now helps build community partnerships.

Throughout his career in law enforcement, Doug Muldoon ‘91 has long been driven by innovative partnerships and community involvement. In fact, despite his retirement from the police force, community building is something he will never retire from.

Muldoon, a UCF public administration alumnus, spent 38 years in law enforcement before retiring in 2015. He began working for the Palm Bay Police Department in 1976 and over time worked his way up the ranks as lieutenant, captain and major. While working 40-plus hours a week at the department, he decided to take night and weekend classes to get his bachelor’s degree in public administration.

He would later go on to become the department’s deputy chief in 2002, and in 2011 he became the department’s first internal chief of police in more than 36 years. The trending theme throughout his work career has been to involve himself in as much as possible and build relationships with the people he meets throughout his experiences.

“I’ve always been a community person; I enjoy the people end of things and building great relationships,” Muldoon says. “I try to always tell people that you never know who your friends are going to be, so try and have as many as you can because when something goes bad — and one day, it will — it's nice to have people who will support you.”

During his time as chief of police, Muldoon coordinated a partnership with IntegenX Company in Pleasanton, California to develop Rapid DNA technology, which can provide DNA profiles within 90 minutes in an office setting. The project and partnership received international recognition.

Muldoon has also accumulated a quite the résumé of community engagement, from election as president of the FBI National Academy Associates (FBINAA) to chair of the FBINAA Charitable Foundation. Additionally, he serves on committees with the Florida Police Chiefs Association, International Association of Chiefs of Police, Survive First (Mental Health for First Responders) and many more.

His service and community-building efforts haven't gone unnoticed. Last year, he was inducted into the Florida Law Enforcement Hall of Fame, an honor given to distinguished individuals who contribute to the advancement of the law enforcement field in Florida.

“It was very humbling to be inducted last year, and it was very special and emotional for me,” Muldoon says. “I had my whole family there and many friends. During those few minutes, so much flashed before my eyes of my whole career, and it meant a lot to have people there who are extremely near and dear to me.”

He also received a special award from the FBI National Academy Associates in 2021. The Prestigious Livio A. Beccaccio Award is awarded to a member who has demonstrated exemplary character through an act of heroism, outstanding community service, innovation in law enforcement, or leadership reflective of how FBI Special Agent Livio A. Beccaccio lived.

“It was very touching to receive that award,” Muldoon says. “It's been a very humbling couple of years with the recognitions that have come from people I’ve worked with throughout my career.”

Since his retirement from law enforcement in 2015, Muldoon was recruited by a company called EcoATM, a cell phone recycling company. As senior director of law enforcement relations, he meets with local law enforcement to explain how EcoATM works and how they can partner with local police to secure the recycled phones, with a goal of innovative crime prevention.

“The nice thing is that we can speak to other law enforcement given our background in the field to help bridge that gap for the company, and it's made a big difference,” he says.

Although the awards and recognition are nice, Muldoon says the most fulfilling thing throughout his career has been his family. Muldoon has been married to his wife for 41 years, and they have four daughters and 9 grandchildren.

“Those are the things that are most important,” he says. “I look back now and I'm very thankful to my mother and father, and a sister, who were always supporting me to move forward and to do things. I think it's important to try and do that for others, too.”