Su-I Hou, Dr.P.H., is a professor and founding director at the School of Global Health Management and Informatics at CCIE, UCF. She also serves as the Health-specialization liaison for the college-wide interdisciplinary PhD program in Public Affairs, as well as the Founding Director of UCF’s Taiwan Study Abroad Program on Asian Culture, Healthcare, & Aging Society. She is a current Fulbright Specialist (2019-2024) and has been invited to conduct MMR training workshops at multiple universities overseas.
Hou has taught a variety of research and competency-based courses, including Mixed Methods Research, Research Methods, Policy & Program Evaluation, Program Development & Implementation; Community Health; Epidemiology; Human Ecology of Health & Illness; Cancer Communication; Cancer Epidemiology & Prevention; HIV Needs Assessment; Doctoral Seminars; Asian Culture & Health; Public Health & Aging, etc. Prior to become a university faculty member, Hou had considerable practical and administrative experience in health care and community settings, serving as the founding director of the Community Health Department at one of the major teaching hospitals in Taiwan.
Hou has been very active in the Chinese-American communities, serving as the 2013-2014 president for the Chinese-American Academic and Professional Association in Southeastern United States (CAPASUS), and continuing to serve on its executive board. She has close professional ties with Taiwan and China and has been frequently invited by their government agencies, major national universities, and industrial partners to give keynotes and training workshops.
Prior to joining UCF in 2015, Hou was a key founding faculty member of the College of Public Health, and founding director of the Taiwan Public Health Study Abroad Program at the University of Georgia (UGA), Athens, GA. She served as an associate editor (2009-2015) for Health Promotion Practice, the Society of Public Health Education's official journal devoted to the practical application of health promotion and education. Hou is a recognized scholar of service learning by the Community-Campus Partnership for Health and was also an inaugural service-learning senior scholar and a recipient of the Service-Learning Research Excellence Award at UGA. Dr. Hou has published over 120+ peer-reviewed journal articles, presented over 240+ papers at national and international conferences, and given over 100+ invited international presentations, workshops, or seminars.
Areas of Expertise
- Mixed Methods Research (MMR)
- Evaluation of Health Programs
- Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL)
- Community-Based Participatory Research (CBPR)
- DrPH - School of Public Health, University of Texas – Health Science Center at Houston
- MPH - School of Public Health, University of Texas – Health Science Center at Houston
- BSN – School of Nursing, College of Medicine, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan
Dr. Hou brings extensive public health research experience and expertise in mixed methods research, program evaluation, and community based participatory research (CBPR) to UCF. Her research has focused on Aging-in-Community (AIC) models / programs and older adult healthy aging, as well as community and worksite strategies to promote early detection and prevention of selected cancers and HIV/AIDS. Most of her research has involved working with community partners in developing and validating study instruments, assessing psycho-social factors of health behaviors, developing and implementing theory-based health programs, and evaluating the effectiveness of program interventions.
- Healthy Aging-in-Community
- Cancer Screening Disparities
- HIV Behavioral Research
- Global Healthcare Management
Current Funded Projects
Barriers to effective screening for food insecurity in outpatient clinical settings – Screen and Intervene: Connecting Food Insecure Patients to Resources.
Project PI: Karen Broussard (Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida)
Project Co-PIs: Christina Bernhardt (Georgia Health Policy Center), Jane Simon (Alliance for Community Health (Alliance)
UCF-subaward Principal Investigator: Su-I Hou, DrPH, CPH, MCHES, RN
UCF-subaward Co- Principal Investigator: Christian King, PhD
Sponsor: Florida Blue Foundation – Food Security Grant (#13308)
Award Period: 1/02/2022 to 12/31/2024
Total Award: $9,000 UCF ($300,000 total)
Barriers to effective screening for food insecurity in outpatient clinical settings – A convergent mixed methods case study identifying patient and provider perspectives.
Principal Investigator: Su-I Hou, DrPH, CPH, MCHES, RN
Co- Principal Investigators: Christian King, PhD, and Ann Miller, PhD
Co-Investigators: Christina Bernhardt, PhD, and Karen Broussard (community partner)
Sponsor: UCF Downtown Interdisciplinary Research Initiative (DIRI) – Phase I & II
Award Period: 9/01/2019 to 6/30/2021
Total Award: $63,000
Worldwide Universities Network (WUN) & Global Research Group – Asia SDGs: Healthy lifestyle does matters for community dwellings pursing quality of life.
Principal Investigator:: Li-Fan Liu, PhD (NCKU, Taiwan)
Co- Principal Investigators: Su-I Hou, DrPH (UCF), Li-Chung Lin, PhD (NCKU), Shyh-Nan Liu, PhD (NCKU), Hoi-Lam Fung, PhD (The Chinese University of Hong Kong)
Sponsor: National Cheng-Kung University (NCKU), Tainan, Taiwan
Total award: $7,200
- 2020 – Teaching Incentive Award (TIP). University of Central Florida, Orlando, FL.
- 2020 –Research Incentive Award (RIA). University of Central Florida, Orlando, FL.
- 2020 –Fulbright Specialist Grant. Mixed Methods Research Workshops and Consultation. Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Israel. J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board (FFSB), U.S. Department of State.
- 2019 –Fulbright Specialist (2019-2024). Fulbright Specialist Program. U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs.
- PAF 7325 Policy & Program Evaluation (3 Cr.)
- PAF 7868 Statistics III – Mixed Methods Research (3 Cr.)
- PAF 7947 Practicum (3 Cr.)
- PAF 7919 Doctoral Research Hours (1-9 Cr.)
- PAF 7908 Doctoral Independent Study (1-9 Cr.)
- HSA 6946 MHA Internship (3 Cr.)
- HSA 4912 Undergraduate Research Hours (0 Cr.)
- HSC 3593 HIV/AIDS (3 Cr.)
- HSA 4995 / HSA 6998 / PAF 7998 Asian Culture, Healthcare, & Aging (3 Cr.)
- UCF Global Health Management and Informatics Professor Becomes American College of Healthcare Executives Fellow
- UCF Receives Association of University Programs in Health Administration Engagement Award
- UCF Researcher Identifies Models For Healthy Aging
- Chinese Adults Face “Alarming” Barriers to Cancer Screenings, UCF Study Finds
- Push being made to keep seniors in own home instead of care facilities
- UCF Researcher Examines Benefits of Supportive Communities for Older Adults
- Introducing Six Leaders to New Roles in College Leadership
- Aging-in-Community Research Shares Lessons Learned in Policy and Program Planning
- Public Affairs, Health Management Professor Added to Fulbright Specialist Roster
- UCF Study Shows Benefits, Challenges of Lunch Programs for Elderly
- HMI Faculty Spotlighted on SoTL Activity by UCF Faculty Center
- UCF Knightly News report – Seniors First Story
- 2017 UCF LEAD – UCF’s new Taiwan Study Abroad Program (p. 14-15)
- Fulbright Specialist Program. U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs.