The Social Justice in Public Service graduate certificate develops public service leaders who understand how public policies influence social justice. Students explore factors that contribute to inequity among various groups, with a focus on providing a theoretical background and methods to analyze social justice issues in public service. Students will be exposed to principles of social justice as they apply to government and the nonprofit sector in education, health, environment, transportation, and housing policy domains among others.
- 15 credit hours
- Interdisciplinary course offerings
- Credits may be applied toward other graduate programs
The Graduate Certificate in Social Justice in Public Service requires 15 credit hours beyond the bachelor’s degree, including two required courses and three elective courses.
For more information on the curriculum, please visit the UCF Graduate Catalog.
Core (6 credits)
Complete the following:
- PAD 5185 - Foundations of Social Justice for Public Service
- PAD 5186 - Policy Advocacy for Social Justice
Restricted Electives (9 credits)
Complete at least 3 of the following:
- EDF 6886 - Multicultural Education
- EDF 6855 - Equitable Educational Opportunity and Life Chances: A Cross-National Analysis
- INR 6067 - Human Rights and Security
- INR 6062 - Peace Studies
- INR 6356 - Environmental Security
- PAD 5356 - Managing Community and Economic Development
- PAD 5930 - Global Cities
- PAD 6357 - Urban Resilience
- PAD 6825 - Cross-Sectoral Governance
- PUP 6324 - Women and Public Policy
- SYO 6409 - Social Inequalities in Health
- SYO 6404 - Food Insecurity and Health
- PAD 6938 - Special Topics
Admissions and Advising
Prospective students seeking enrollment in the Graduate Certificate in Social Justice in Public Service should submit the following for consideration:
- An official, sealed transcript of each college or university attended, showing a GPA of 2.5 or better
- A current resume
- A goal statement, no longer than two pages, addressing the following:
- What is your reason for pursuing this certificate and how does it fit into your future goals and plans?
- What specific areas of public policy interest you?
For more information on admissions, please contact our graduate advisor, Edlira Dursun.